On Monday evening, November 27, 1905, the Flat Springs Baptist Church was born. We began with 12 charter members, three acres of donated land and a strong faith in God's leadership. U.S. Highway # 1 (what is now Deep River Road) was a dirt road that ran about fifty feet in front of the present buildings. Twelve months later, the faithful few had erected a partially completed church building, received five young people on profession of faith, been admitted into the Sandy Creek Baptist Association, and were enjoying one preaching service a month.
Our church started as a dream, the dream of a local church convenient for worship and ministry. Most of the charter members were part of the Gum Springs Baptist Church, which is between Pittsboro and Moncure. Travel was difficult in those days and it took quite a long time to make the trip to church and back. The need for a local church was evident. After much consideration and prayer, these 12 dedicated people organized Flat Springs. There were no aristocrats among these 12. They were modest farmers and their wives, still struggling from the aftermath of the war between the states and the reconstruction.
Flat Springs was built in the Oakland Township of Chatham County. Though we have never moved, the church is now located in the Deep River Township of Lee County. That was made possible by the formation of Lee county in 1907, from portions of Chatham and Moore County.
Through the years, Flat Springs Baptist church has grown steadily. From the original 12 charter members, and gifts amounting to approximately $200.00 that first year, Flat Springs has grown to a total membership of over 480 people and a budget of $316,000.00. Existing buildings were improved and updated. New buildings have been constructed and dedicated. The present sanctuary was renovated in the summer of 1995, with new carpet, pew pads, light fixtures and more. Ministries and opportunities have expanded and have touched the lives of many, and many wonderful people have chosen to join with our church family. In the 1996, 1997 and 1998 church years, our church had the most baptisms in the Sandy Creek Baptist Association among organized churches.
Because of the growth our church has experienced and to provide more space for worship, we added an additional Sunday morning worship service at 8:25 AM in June of 1997. As Sunday school is also full, a new 6,400 square foot educational building was completed in the summer/fall of 2000 and is used by our preschool through third grade children and as an office suite. This would provide more space for Sunday School and other use, and would pull all our offices together for better efficiency.
The church has enjoyed the faithful leadership of 28 different pastors, three of which served on two different occasions. Our present pastor is the Reverend Dr. W. Gary McCollough, who came to us in January of 2005.
The dream of those faithful charter members in 1905 of a local church for worship and ministry is still very much alive and is being fulfilled everyday. We are thankful for the way that GOD has truly blessed our church in the past and present and we are very excited about God's plans for us in the future. HE is bringing to us abundant opportunities for sharing the love of Jesus Christ in outreach and ministry. May we always be open to HIS leading and careful to give Him the glory.